Many talented professionals want to make a bigger impact and get their work & their ideas better known. That was certainly how I felt in the years after I first launched my consulting business in 2006.
During the intervening decade, I methodically researched the process of how today's leading experts built their brands and their platforms.
I've applied them in my own business, writing three books (from Harvard Business Review Press and Portfolio/Penguin), and have distilled that knowledge fully for the first time in the Recognized Expert™ course. More than 550+ successful professionals have now been through the program.
Being great at what you do is very different than being well known for what you do.
With the Recognized Expert™ course, my goal is to level the playing field and help talented professionals get their voices heard, so that the best ideas - not just the loudest voices - are the ones that win.
I'm excited to help you share your best ideas with the world.
Recognized Expert™ provides you with a clear template for how to build your professional reputation in order to attract the right opportunities to you. We all have limited time, and it’s important not to waste it. The course will help you figure out where to apply your efforts for the greatest return on investment.
Find your message and breakthrough idea, and learn to talk about it in a way that sets you apart
Get featured in the media & write for prominent publications
Land paid speaking engagements (and cool unpaid opportunities like TEDx talks)
Grow your social media and online following
Attract clients, job offers, and consulting opportunities to you - rather than constantly having to fight for them
Build your email list
Overcome self-doubt and the 'imposter syndrome' that holds many talented professionals back
Network with peers and so-called 'influencers' in a genuine and authentic way, even if you're an introvert (like I am)
Launch a successful book, blog, or podcast
I landed a $250,000 contract!
Joel Gagne, Owner of Allerton Hill Consulting
My business now brings in six figures annually
Albert DiBernardo, Leadership Coach and Mentor
I’ve found new and impactful ways to contribute
Mahesh Thakur, VP of Product, GoDaddy
The Recognized Expert community has transformed me professionally
Luis Velasquez, MBA, PhD Velas Coaching LLC
Taking the Recognized Expert course was one of the best decisions I ever made
Michael Maddaus, MD Professor of Thoracic Surgery
A global community of amazing and accomplished individuals
Susan Peppercorn, CEO Positive Workplace Partners
The connections I've made are worth the price alone
Robbie Samuels, Keynote Speaker, Strategist, and Author
A fantastic investment
Tom Waterhouse, Independent Consultant
Dorie taught me in an actionable and focused way to become an expert
Dr. Christina Guthier, Occupational Health and Organizational Psychologist
One of the best professional decisions I have ever made
Jenny Lisk, Host, The Widowed Parent Podcast
This course resulted in a significant raise
Paul Fairbrother, Social Media Specialist
I started blogging as an expert for Worth magazine as a direct result of this course
Alisa Cohn, Inc.com & Forbes.com Columnist, Executive Coach
I started receiving inbound inquires about my executive coaching practice
Nihar Chhaya, Executive Coach for Senior Leaders at Global Companies
When you want to accomplish something, turn to someone who's already done it
Dr. Sharon Melnick, Psychologist, Author, Professional Speaker
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this course!
Anucha Browne, Sports Executive
I have a roadmap now
Katie Carr Miller, Executive Leadership Coach
Everything I needed to know to save time, money, and aggravation
Terri Deuel, Consultant
Dorie's Recognized Expert course is refreshingly real
Brittany Thomas, Marketing and Operations Coach
Dorie's course is truly empowering
Elena Rodighiero, Cybersecurity Solutions Specialist
Watching and learning from the Recognized Expert group is what gave me the confidence to make all this happen.
Chris Littlefield, Employee Engagement Consultant
Dorie entered my life just when I needed her most
Amii Barnard-Bahn, JD - Executive coach & consultant
This whole experience has taken my career to the next level
Carlos Tellez, consultant, corporate board member, and 3x former CEO
The most impactful investment
Greg Tutunjian, Agile Strategist
Great things have happened since I started the course!
Liza Andrews, photographer and self-development coach
This has given me the confidence to achieve my goals & dreams
Erika Giorgana, organizational transformation consultant, London, England
The best investment I made all year!
Jacqueline Wales, CEO, The Fearless Factor @ Work
My only complaint is that I wish I'd joined earlier!
Diana Wu David, Fast Company contributor and Founder, Future Proof Lab
The best investment you can make in yourself
Lisa DeAngelis, PhD, Director, Center for Collaborative Leadership
“Practical and far-sighted solutions”
Ravindra Kondekar, software scientist and personal productivity expert
Inspires and helps me grow my consulting business!
David Wells, CEO, Wells Consulting
Leaves me energized and hopeful!
Amanda Gibson - Owner of Radix Strategy, LLC
A top-notch community led by a genuine pro
Darcy Eikenberg, PCC, leadership and career coach
Exceeded my expectations
Travis Scott, Recruitment Marketing Consultant & Coach
I’ve achieved my goal!
Harsha Boralessa, Investor and Financial Services Expert
The Recognized Expert course changed my views of myself
Lynn Garbers, Executive and Team Coach
I landed a book deal!
Aviva Hirshfeld Legatt, Forbes contributor and Author, St. Martin’s Press
I secured my first client!
Carolyn Hyde, Technology Solutions Executive Business Leader
Exceeded my expectations
Liza Andrews, Self-development and Executive Coach
I’ve gotten better name recognition and more clients!
Gerry Valentine, Executive Coach and former Fortune 100 leader
A watershed experience!
Mike Arnold, Outdoor Writer
What if I don't know what my breakthrough idea is?
That's totally OK. The course teaches you how to identify your breakthrough idea. To clarify, the course is not right for you if you're reinventing and have no idea what direction you want to take or what field you want to be in. But if you have a sense of where you'd like to make your mark – for instance, in healthcare consulting, or being a social media strategist or a human rights attorney or a wealth manager or an executive coach - this course helps guide you through the process of discovering your distinctive ideas and the contribution you can make.
What if I'm not sure I'm an expert?
Many of us have had doubts at one point or another about whether we're really qualified. In fact, there's a module in the course about "Imposter Syndrome" and how to overcome it. If you have no training or experience, then of course Recognized Expert won't magically help with that. But if you're a smart professional who has been working hard and you know in your heart you have something to offer, Recognized Expert helps teach you the skills and strategies to get your ideas more widely heard.
What if I get busy for a while and can't fully participate?
Not a problem. You have lifetime membership in the course, so you can return to it anytime when you're less busy. All live sessions are recorded, as well.
Is the course relevant if I work inside a corporation and don't want to be an entrepreneur?
Yes - many Recognized Expert participants work inside corporations and are using what they learn in the course to become recognized for their knowledge and skills inside their companies (including many Fortune 500 firms). The material is completely transferable, whether the universe you're seeking to impact is your company or your field, in general.
I don't live in a major city (or I don't live in the US). Will this be a problem?
No - the course is 100% online, so you can consume the material whenever & wherever it's convenient for you. We do have live monthly webinars (alternating timing to accommodate Recognized Expert friends in Europe and Asia), but if you can't make a given session, it's not an issue: 1) you can email in any questions you'd like asked and yours will always be handled first; and 2) all sessions are recorded so you can watch them the next day, or at your convenience.
Are the strategies you share applicable in markets outside the US?
Short answer: yes. Many participants in the Recognized Expert course & community come from countries outside the US (England, Australia, Italy, Slovenia, Chile, the Netherlands, France, Mauritius, and Hong Kong, to name just a few). This course is about applying universally applicable strategies - that work in any cultural context - about how to identify your strengths, build a solid network, and apply your skills in a way so that they're understood and appreciated by others.
But what if I hate blogging?
It's not a problem if you don't want to blog (or speak, or podcast, or whatever). There are many paths to becoming a recognized expert, and the course helps you identify the strategies that will work best for you. It's not one-size-fits-all, so it enables you to personalize your approach.
How advanced do you have to be in order to take the course? What if I just started my business?
It's never too early to start the process of building your reputation in the marketplace. In fact, a number of Recognized Expert participants started the course several years before officially launching their businesses, because they wanted to build a foundation to move into entrepreneurship more seamlessly. The key question for you here is around how to allocate your time. Some new entrepreneurs have more urgency around cash flow and therefore need to spend most of their time with immediate cash generating activities (which, sadly, becoming a Recognized Expert is not: it takes time to show results). But if you have time that you can afford to put toward this long-term activity, that's fantastic, because it gives you a critical advantage a few years down the road.
Does the course provide certification or continuing education credits?
Not really. If you would like a certificate upon completion, I'm glad to provide one. But to be clear, the Recognized Expert course is intended as a personal learning tool for you, and we don't have an arrangement with various entities that require certification or credits. This is an investment in your personal growth, rather than something that would help you meet a specific requirement.
I landed my first paid speaking gig!
Ellie Rich-Poole, The Recruitment Coach
The real deal!
Josephine Lombardi, Ph.D., Associate Professor, St. Augustine's Seminary, Scarborough, Ontario
The best way to broaden your reach
Kuzeyhan Ozdemir, Disruptive technologies consultant
An engaged community of outstanding, like-minded people!
Lara Quie, executive coach for attorneys, Singapore
One of my best investments!
Andrea Goseco, Global Executive Coach
I credit my success to the Recognized Expert community
Roberta Sydney, corporate board member and former CEO
Recognized Expert works, I am living proof!
Michael Leckie, consultant and author of The Heart of Transformation
I now have a clear strategy!
Manuel Ancizu, Corporate Project Quality Manager, Europe/Middle East/Africa
Money is tight. How quickly will I see a return on my investment?
Please don't join the course. Becoming a Recognized Expert takes time, and though it varies, it's often 2-3 years of consistent effort before you start to see meaningful results. To truly enjoy the course and be able to get the maximum value out of it, you need to have a long-term time frame.
How is the course different from your books?
The Recognized Expert™ course contains *50 hours* of recorded material, so it goes into much more depth than is possible in my books - even if you've read all of them. Additionally, there's the interaction with me and with other course participants in our online community, and lifetime access to our monthly webinars. It's a much more experiential, intensive process than simply reading the books.
What platform do you use for the online community?
We use Facebook for our online community, and the Recognized Expert group - unlike much of 'general' Facebook - is a fantastic and supportive place. To be sure: there are many annoying and problematic aspects to Facebook (data privacy, politics, all of that)! But the group functionality is excellent compared to many other platforms and our corner of this online world is quite a wonderful refuge. Many of our Recognized Expert community members don't use Facebook very much besides for this group, and some even create special, stripped-down profiles just to access the group if they don't already have a profile (or if they had one and deleted it previously).
If I hate Facebook with a passion and don't want to participate in a Facebook group, how essential is the online community to the course experience?
All of the course materials (50+ hours) are available via our Thinkific course site, and our monthly live webinars are conducted on Zoom, so all of that is fully accessible if you don't want to create a Facebook profile. It's useful to determine how important the community element of the course is to you. If it is really important, then the course might not be the right fit if you don't want to participate in a Facebook group (because that is where people, for instance, post their homework and get group feedback, or ask general questions and glean insights from the community). If group interaction is not a top priority for you, then you'll be able to enjoy the course content and live webinars just fine without the online community component.
More than recouped the value of my investment within the first week!
Gena Cox, PhD, industrial psychologist and executive coach
An incredible community
Maren Gube, PhD, McGill International Institute of Education
Gave me the motivation I needed!
Padma Edirisinghe, freelance graphic web designer
The course has instilled a new level of confidence in me
Mita Mallick, head of diversity and inclusion and cross-cultural marketing at Unilever
“Spurs you to get even better!”
Jennifer Fondrevay, Author, Speaker, and Consultant
“A transformational journey”
Yasmina Khelifi, senior project manager
“Working with Dorie is a highlight”
Daniel Lieberman, Fortune 500 advisor and former CEO, Seattle’s Pike Place Market
Helped me refine my business and my messaging!
Lizabeth Wesely-Casella, CEO
So much personal & career value!
Carolyn Hyde , sales and marketing leader
Enabled me to ‘move up a gear’ in my work!
Susannah Chambers, team coach
You're unsure where you want your career to go.
The course will only be helpful once you decide where you'd like to make your mark. You don't have to have everything figured out, but it's important to have chosen your general field. If you haven't decided this yet, the course may be premature for you.
Money is a major concern.
If you're in a financial position where you need urgent, immediate returns, this class is not right for you. Becoming a Recognized Expert™ is a process that takes time, often several years, to come to fruition. It's enormously powerful for your career, but you need to have the patience and leeway to make the investment now and plan for the future. If money is an immediate concern, please don't enroll. You won't be able to enjoy or benefit from the course if you're feeling extreme financial pressure.
- Welcome to the Recognized Expert™ Course
- Am I Qualified to Be a Recognized Expert?
- What Does It Take to Become a Recognized Expert?
- Book Recommendations for Recognized Expert Students
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Find Your Breakthrough Idea
- What Is a Breakthrough Idea
- How to Identify Your Target Audience
- Will Your Audience Care About Your Big Idea?
- Is Your Idea Actually Unique?
- How Do You Talk About Your Breakthrough Idea
- What to Do If You Haven't Found What You're Passionate About
- When Your Passion and Your Profession Don't Align
- What If You Have More Than One Passion?
- Using the Niche Strategy
- Identifying Trends
- Creating a Market Gap Analysis
- Creating a Framework
- Conducting Research
- What If Someone Steals Your Idea?
- Dorie Clark 90 Minute Review Webinar on Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Dorie Clark Q&A Webinar Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Homework Exercises - Find Your Breakthrough Idea
- March 2017 Finding Your Breakthrough Idea Q&A Webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Multiply Your Following
- How to Get Featured in Traditional Media
- What Social Channels Should You Be Using
- How Much Time Should You Spend on Social Media
- What Should You Share on Social Media
- How to Measure ROI in Social Media
- Growing Your Email List
- Homework Exercises - Multiply Your Following
- Dorie Clark Q&A webinar Multiply Your Following
- Webinar Review - Multiply Your Following
- Summary of Key Points - Multiply Your Following
- April 2017 Multiply Your Following webinar
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Overcome the Obstacles
- What If You're Not Getting Traction?
- Grappling with Self Doubt
- Who, Really, Can Become a Recognized Expert?
- When Can You Claim to be an Expert?
- Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
- What to Do When You Feel Discouraged
- What to Do When You Feel Paralyzed
- Enhancing Your Executive Presence
- How to Focus on What Matters Most
- How to Structure Your Day to Be More Productive
- What Can You Outsource?
- Homework Exercises - Overcome the Obstacles
- Webinar Review - Overcome the Obstacles
- Dorie Q&A webinar Overcoming the Obstacles
- Summary of Key Points - Overcome the Obstacles
- Overcome the Obstacles Webinar May 2017
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Build a Powerful Network
- What Is a Power Network & Why Does It Matter?
- How to Connect with Peers
- Learning How to Talk About Yourself
- Networking as an Introvert
- Overcoming Internal Obstacles to Networking
- Who Should You Be Connecting With?
- Givers and Takers in Networking
- Making Your Networking More Efficient
- Mastering Follow Up
- Homework Exercises - Build a Powerful Network
- Webinar Review - Build a Powerful Network
- How to Build a Powerful Network Q&A webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Build a Powerful Network
- Building a Powerful Network Q&A webinar May 2017
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Learning from Guest Experts
- David Burkus on Becoming More Creative
- Shama Hyder on Multiplying Your Following Online
- Laura Vanderkam on Overcoming Procrastination and Becoming More Effective with Your Time
- John Corcoran on How to Connect with Influencers
- Jordan Harbinger on Expanding Your Profile through Podcasting
- Interview with Katherine Flynn, Literary Agent
- Lolly Daskal on Building Your Platform and Marketing Books
- Jason Bellini of the Wall Street Journal on How to Connect with Reporters
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Expand Your Public Profile
- What Should You Write About?
- How to Create Great Content
- How to Become a Guest Blogger
- How to Blog for High Profile Publications
- Should You Start Your Own Blog?
- How to Promote Your Blog
- How to Become a Podcast Guest
- Should You Start Your Own Podcast?
- How to Land Your First Speaking Gig
- What Should You Charge for Speaking?
- How to Land a TEDx Talk
- Creating Content vs. Networking
- How and When to Write a Book Proposal
- Should You Self-Publish or Traditionally Publish?
- Things to Keep in Mind About Self-Publishing
- How to Find an Agent
- How to Find a Publisher
- How to Market Your Book Successfully
- Homework Exercises - Expand Your Public Profile
- Webinar Review - Expand Your Public Profile
- Expand Your Public Profile Q&A webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Expand Your Public Profile
- Expand Your Public Profile Q&A webinar May 2017
- How to Get Your Audience to Want What You're Offering
- How to Get High Level Clients to Come to You
- Setting Your Longer Term Vision
- What Does Success Really Look Like?
- Taking Action - What's Next?
- Dorie Clark Q&A webinar - How to Monetize
- Bonus "Ask Me Anything" Q&A webinar
- Dorie's November 2016 Bonus Ask Me Anything Webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Recognized Expert - Next Steps
- January 2018: Jeffrey Shaw - Book Marketing
- February 2018: Dorie Clark - Intro to REx webinars
- March 2018: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A
- April 2018: Nancy Halpern - Interviews with Major Publications
- June 2018: Robbie Samuels - Effective Networking Strategies
- July 2018: Melissa Smith - Hiring and Working with a VA
- August 2018: Alisa Cohn - Build a Seven-Figure Coaching Business
- October 2018: Liz Scully - Launch and Run a Mastermind
- November 2018: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A
- December 2018: Ron Carucci - Building a Following
- January 2019: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A
- February 2019: Gina Warner - Breaking into the Associations Market
- April 2019: Randah Taher - Generating Ideas and Embracing Creativity
- Special Bonus - Idea Creation, Selection and Planning Tools from Randah Taher (to complement April 2019 webinar)
- June 2019: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A
- July 2019: Amii Barnard-Bahn - Becoming a Recognized Expert Inside a Corporation
- August 2019: Marie Incontrera - Landing a TEDx Talk
- September 2019: Dorie Clark - Online Course Creation
- October 2019: Dorie Clark - Getting to Know Fellow RExers
- November 2019: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A
- December 2019: Laura Gassner Otting - Breaking into Morning TV
- January 2020: Dorie Clark - Productivity Strategies for the New Year
- March 2020: Dorie Clark - Build a Healthy & Resilient Business - Part 1
- March 2020: Dorie Clark - Build a Healthy & Resilient Business - Part 2
- April 2020: Dorie Clark - Growth Strategies in the Pandemic
- May 2020: Ron Carucci - The Ups and Downs of Becoming a REx
- May 2020: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A
- June 2020: Marie Incontrera - Best Practices for Social Media
- July 2020: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A (Morning Session)
- July 2020: Dorie Clark - Open Q & A (Evening Session)
- August 2020: Robbie Samuels - Launching Your Own Podcast
- September 2020: Caroline Stokes - Journey of Becoming a REx
- October 2020: Jeffrey Shaw - Getting Booked on Podcasts
- October 2020: Meet the New REx Cohort and Ask Me Anything Q&A!
- October 2020: New RExer Intros and Ask Me Anything Session #2
- November 2020: Ellen Cohen & Anne Buckingham - Legal Issues in RExing (Contracts, IP and More)
- December 2020: Dirk Schroeder - How to Build Your LinkedIn Following
- January 2021: Time Management and Productivity Strategies
- February 2021: Anne Buckingham and Ellen Cohen Return! More on Legal Issues in RExing (Corporations, Contracts, IP, etc.!)
- March 2021: Ask Me Anything Q&A Webinar for New RExers!
- March 2021: Second Ask Me Anything Q&A Webinar for New RExers!
- March 2021: Ellen Taafe, Sheila Stamps, and Amii Barnard-Bahn on How to Become a Corporate Board Member
- April 2021: REx "Mix and mingle" connection webinar hosted by Gena Cox, Robbie Samuels, and Julia Phelan
- April 2021: REx Collaboration - Insights from Diana Wu David, Jennifer Fondrevay, Jenny Lisk, and Tammy Gooler Loeb
- May 2021: Ask Me Anything Q&A with Dorie Clark
- June 2021: Mastering Book Proposals with Guest RExers Linda Popky and Jennifer Fondrevay
- July 2021: Leveraging the Value of Speaking Opportunities with Guest RExer Su-Yen Wong
- August 2021: How to Land a Book Deal with a Major Publisher with Guest RExer Aviva Legatt
- September 2021: RExing Inside Corporate with Guest RExers Mita Mallick, Paul Fairbrother, and Manuel Ancizu
- October 2021: Designing (or Redesigning) a Great Website with Special Guest Web Designer Ron Passaro
Dorie Clark teaches executive education for Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and is the author of The Long Game, Entrepreneurial You, Reinventing You, and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of the Year by Inc. magazine. A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, the New York Times described her as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives," and she has been named one of the Top 50 Business Thinkers in the World by Thinkers50. Named the #1 Communication Coach in the World by the Marshall Goldsmith Leading Global Coaches Awards, Clark is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review and hosts a weekly interview show for Newsweek. Recognized as a “branding expert” by the Associated Press, Inc., and Fortune, Clark is a marketing strategy consultant and speaker for clients including Google, Microsoft, Yale University, Fidelity, the U.S. State Department, and the World Bank. She's also the producer of a multiple Grammy-winning jazz album. You can download her free 88-question Entrepreneurial You self-assessment and learn more at dorieclark.com.
Rapid Content Creation Masterclass(6)
The Rapid Content Creation Masterclass, taught by former award-winning journalist and Harvard Business Review author Dorie Clark, helps you learn to create great content quickly - enabling you to share your ideas more widely & build your platf...
Writing for High Profile Publications
Writing for High Profile Publications teaches professionals how to break into prominent publications in their industry, enhancing their brand and helping them spread their ideas further.
If you want to learn how to become a recognized expert, you've come to the right place. Dorie walks the walk not only talks the talk. She developed a three-p...Read More
If you want to learn how to become a recognized expert, you've come to the right place. Dorie walks the walk not only talks the talk. She developed a three-part, action-oriented framework for demystifying the process of gaining market visibility; creating content, establishing social proof and building a network. Through videos and class discussions, Dorie breaks down each of the three segments into easily digestible bite-size chunks. A highlight of the course were interviews that she conducted with other luminaries to get find out how they developed their reputation. This is the second course I've taken for entrepreneurs who want to grow their following. The first seemed like an 8-week commercial to purchase someone else's services. Rest assured, in Dorie's course you will get pure, excellent content!Read Less