Many talented professionals want to make a bigger impact and get their work & their ideas better known. That was certainly how I felt in the years after I first launched my consulting business in 2006.
During the intervening decade, I methodically researched the process of how today's leading experts built their brands and their platforms.
I've applied them in my own business, writing three books (from Harvard Business Review Press and Portfolio/Penguin), and have distilled that knowledge fully for the first time in the Recognized Expert course. More than 150+ successful professionals have now been through the program.
Being great at what you do is very different than being well known for what you do.
With the Recognized Expert course, my goal is to level the playing field and help talented professionals get their voices heard, so that the best ideas - not just the loudest voices - are the ones that win.
Registration for the course is now open. You can learn more below and sign up at the bottom of this page.
What Will You Learn in the Course?
Recognized Expert provides you with a clear template for how to build your professional reputation in order to attract the right opportunities to you. We all have limited time, and it’s important not to waste it. The course will help you figure out where to apply your efforts for the greatest return on investment.
In the course, you'll learn extremely concrete and practical strategies for how to:
- Find your message and breakthrough idea, and learn to talk about it in a way that sets you apart
- Get featured in the media & write for prominent publications
- Land paid speaking engagements (and cool unpaid opportunities like TEDx talks)
- Grow your social media and online following
- Attract clients, job offers, and consulting opportunities to you - rather than constantly having to fight for them
- Build your email list
- Overcome self-doubt and the 'imposter syndrome' that holds many talented professionals back
- Master time management and prioritization so you can get 'regular' work done and still have time to spend on building your brand
- Network with peers and so-called 'influencers' in a genuine and authentic way, even if you're an introvert (like I am)
- Launch a successful blog, podcast, or book
How is the course structured?
Recognized Expert is an in-depth online course that you can access anytime, anywhere around the world.
The course includes more than 40 hours of targeted video instruction modules, as well as monthly live Q&A sessions (which are recorded, in case you can't make a particular session).
Upon registration, you'll be given immediate access to all the course materials, so if you'd like to "binge," you can.
Alternately, if you prefer a 'paced' experience, I'll send out weekly emails to you over a 14-week period with suggested material for you to watch, and homework assignments for you to complete, that week.
One of the best parts of the course is permanent access to an active, 24/7 online community for the course, filled with extremely talented professionals who, like you, are committing to upping their A game and becoming recognized experts.
I interact with students online every single day, and you can share ideas, ask questions, and receive support, advice, and accountability to keep you on target to accomplish your goals.
"When you want to achieve something, turn to someone who has already done it," says psychologist and professional speaker Sharon Melnick, who is a Recognized Expert alumna. "That's Dorie Clark. She's ubiquitous in the influential business publications and on the marquee conference stages, and commands high fees for her speaking and consulting. This program is unique because Dorie brings her signature ability to break things down and is highly accessible to answer your questions. You get a blueprint, insider advice on what to do (and not do), and inspiration from the other community members."
Dr. Aviva Hirschfeld Legatt, Ivy League College Admissions Officer
Fred Krawchuk, Entrepreneur and Former U.S. Special Forces Officer
Photographer and Executive Coach Jeffrey Shaw
Marketing Consultant Kris Marsh
Parenting Coach Liz Kauffmann
College Admissions Consultant Marlena Corcoran
Consultant and Professional Speaker Robbie Samuels
Aleksandr Zhuk, Founder and President of the Artificial Intelligence Management Forum
"I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this course to others," says sports executive Anucha Browne. "Once in a while, you connect with a forward-thinking giver. That's exactly who Dorie Clark is. This is a perfectly designed course that provides clear and specific direction to those who are on the cusp of effecting change and making their passion a reality."
“I feel like I have a roadmap now," says Katie Carr, a past course participant. "Six weeks ago, I had no idea where to start or how I should organize myself. Now I have not only a perspective on these areas, but your stories in my head that can help validate me on how I should be spending my time and define what I should and shouldn't do. I am all about efficiencies, and your content has provided solutions for me.”
"Efforts to become a recognized expert, gain visibility and stand out in a crowded world were overwhelming and discouraging," says Terri Deuel, a consultant who took the course. "I struggled with how to go about it, which is exactly why Dorie Clark's Recognized Expert course was the ideal choice for me. She simplified the process by giving me everything I needed to know to save time, money and aggravation, including methods to build a reputation, ways to avoid common mistakes and blueprints to jump-start my efforts."
How Do I Know If Recognized Expert Is Right for Me?
Here are some frequently asked questions about the course.
What if I don't know what my breakthrough idea is?
That's totally OK. The course teaches you how to identify your breakthrough idea.
To clarify, the course is not right for you if you're reinventing and have no idea what direction you want to take or what field you want to be in.
But if you have a sense of where you'd like to make your mark – for instance, in healthcare consulting, or being a social media strategist or a human rights attorney or a wealth manager or an executive coach - this course helps guide you through the process of discovering your distinctive ideas and the contribution you can make.
What if I'm not sure I'm an expert?
Many of us have had doubts at one point or another about whether we're really qualified. In fact, there's a module in the course about "Imposter Syndrome" and how to overcome it.
If you have no training or experience, then of course Recognized Expert won't magically help with that. But if you're a smart professional who has been working hard and you know in your heart you have something to offer, Recognized Expert helps teach you the skills and strategies to get your ideas more widely heard.
What if I get busy for a while and can't fully participate?
Not a problem. You have lifetime membership in the course, so you can return to it anytime when you're less busy. All live sessions are recorded, as well.
How much time will the course take?
You can binge on the course materials if you'd like (you'll have full access as soon as you register), but typically plan to spend 2-3 hours per week. My goal with the course was to set a realistic pace - one that allows you to make meaningful progress toward becoming a Recognized Expert, but doesn't take over your life - because, as a busy professional, that's neither realistic nor sustainable. I want the program to help you create habits for professional growth and development that you can - and want to - keep up over time.
Is the course relevant if I work inside a corporation and don't want to be an entrepreneur?
Yes - many Recognized Expert participants work inside corporations and are using what they learn in the course to become recognized for their knowledge and skills inside their companies (including many Fortune 500 firms). The material is completely transferable, whether the universe you're seeking to impact is your company or your field, in general.
I don't live in a major city (or I don't live in the US). Will this be a problem?
No - the course is 100% online, so you can consume the material whenever & wherever it's convenient for you. We do have live monthly webinars, typically held mid-day US Eastern Time (morning Pacific time and evening in Europe), but if you can't make those, it's not an issue: 1) you can email in any questions you'd like asked and yours will always be handled first; and 2) all sessions are recorded so you can watch them the next day, or at your convenience.
Are the strategies you share applicable in markets outside the US?
Short answer: yes. Many participants in the Recognized Expert course & community come from countries outside the US (England, Australia, Italy, Slovenia, Chile, the Netherlands, France, Mauritius, and Hong Kong, to name just a few). This course is about applying universally applicable strategies - that work in any cultural context - about how to identify your strengths, build a solid network, and apply your skills in a way so that they're understood and appreciated by others.
But what if I hate blogging?
It's not a problem if you don't want to blog (or speak, or podcast, or whatever). There are many paths to becoming a recognized expert, and the course helps you identify the strategies that will work best for you. It's not one-size-fits-all, so it enables you to personalize your approach.
How advanced do you have to be in order to take the course? What if I just started my business?
It's never too early to start the process of building your reputation in the marketplace. In fact, a number of Recognized Expert participants started the course several years before officially launching their businesses, because they wanted to build a foundation to move into entrepreneurship more seamlessly. The key question for you here is around how to allocate your time. Some new entrepreneurs have more urgency around cash flow and therefore need to spend most of their time with immediate cash generating activities (which, sadly, becoming a Recognized Expert is not: it takes time to show results). But if you have time that you can afford to put toward this long-term activity, that's fantastic, because it gives you a critical advantage a few years down the road.
Does the course provide certification or continuing education credits?
Not really. If you would like a certificate upon completion, I'm glad to provide one. But to be clear, the Recognized Expert course is intended as a personal learning tool for you, and we don't have an arrangement with various entities that require certification or credits. This is an investment in your personal growth, rather than something that would help you meet a specific requirement.
Who is the course NOT right for?
The course won't be a good fit if:
1) You aren't sure what direction you'd like your career to take (for instance, if you're still figuring out very broad areas, like choosing between photography or meteorology or playwriting).
2) You're in a financial position where you need urgent, immediate returns. Becoming a recognized expert is a process that takes time, often several years, to come to fruition. It's enormously powerful for your career, but you need to have the patience and leeway to make the investment now and plan for the future. If money is an immediate concern, please don't enroll. You won't be able to enjoy or benefit from the course if you're feeling extreme financial pressure.
What does the course cost, and is there a payment plan?
Recognized Expert is $1995, analogous to the price of a graduate-level course at the top business schools where I teach. (Except that no business school offers courses on this topic. If you want to learn this material, this course is the place to do it.)
There is a multi-payment option of three payments of $800, or six payments of $425.
You can register for the course by scrolling to the bottom of this page and clicking "Enroll Now."
How to Register
If you're trying to figure out whether the course is the right fit for you, or you have any questions, let's talk directly.
Please note that there are no refunds for the course, because I only want people to join who are fully committed. Do not join if you aren't sure! Research has shown that people who are "all in" are more likely to do the work and therefore get better results - which is our goal, after all.
I want you to make a decision you feel great about and will advise you directly about whether I think the course will be helpful to you based on where you are.
Feel free to email me directly at email@example.com to talk further. And if you'd like to go ahead and sign up for the course, let's do it!
You can register below via the "Enroll Now" button (and there are multi-pay options at the very bottom of this page if you prefer to pay over a three-month or six-month period).
I look forward to working with you & having you as part of our community of talented professionals.
Dorie Clark is an Adjunct Professor of Business Administration at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and the author of Entrepreneurial You, Reinventing You, and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine. A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, the New York Times described her as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.” She is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, TIME, and Entrepreneur. Recognized as a “branding expert” by the Associated Press, Inc., and Fortune, Clark is a marketing strategy consultant and speaker for clients including Google, Microsoft, Yale University, Fidelity, the U.S. State Department, and the World Bank. She's also the producer of a multiple Grammy-winning jazz album. You can download her free 88-question Entrepreneurial You self-assessment and learn more at dorieclark.com.
- Welcome to the Recognized Expert Course
- Am I Qualified to Be a Recognized Expert?
- What Does It Take to Become a Recognized Expert?
- Book Recommendations for Recognized Expert Students
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Find Your Breakthrough Idea
- What Is a Breakthrough Idea
- How to Identify Your Target Audience
- Will Your Audience Care About Your Big Idea?
- Is Your Idea Actually Unique?
- How Do You Talk About Your Breakthrough Idea
- What to Do If You Haven't Found What You're Passionate About
- When Your Passion and Your Profession Don't Align
- What If You Have More Than One Passion?
- Using the Niche Strategy
- Identifying Trends
- Creating a Market Gap Analysis
- Creating a Framework
- Conducting Research
- What If Someone Steals Your Idea?
- Dorie Clark Review Webinar - Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Dorie Clark Q&A Webinar Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Homework Exercises - Find Your Breakthrough Idea
- March 2017 Finding Your Breakthrough Idea Q&A Webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Multiply Your Following
- How to Get Featured in Traditional Media
- What Social Channels Should You Be Using
- How Much Time Should You Spend on Social Media
- What Should You Share on Social Media
- How to Measure ROI in Social Media
- Growing Your Email List
- Homework Exercises - Multiply Your Following
- Dorie Clark Q&A webinar Multiply Your Following
- Webinar Review - Multiply Your Following
- Summary of Key Points - Multiply Your Following
- April 2017 Multiply Your Following webinar
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Overcome the Obstacles
- What If You're Not Getting Traction?
- Grappling with Self Doubt
- Who, Really, Can Become a Recognized Expert?
- When Can You Claim to be an Expert?
- Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
- What to Do When You Feel Discouraged
- What to Do When You Feel Paralyzed
- Enhancing Your Executive Presence
- How to Focus on What Matters Most
- How to Structure Your Day to Be More Productive
- What Can You Outsource?
- Homework Exercises - Overcome the Obstacles
- Webinar Review - Overcome the Obstacles
- Dorie Q&A webinar Overcoming the Obstacles
- Summary of Key Points - Overcome the Obstacles
- Overcome the Obstacles Webinar May 2017
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Build a Powerful Network
- What Is a Power Network & Why Does It Matter?
- How to Connect with Peers
- Learning How to Talk About Yourself
- Networking as an Introvert
- Overcoming Internal Obstacles to Networking
- Who Should You Be Connecting With?
- Givers and Takers in Networking
- Making Your Networking More Efficient
- Mastering Follow Up
- Homework Exercises - Build a Powerful Network
- Webinar Review - Build a Powerful Network
- How to Build a Powerful Network Q&A webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Build a Powerful Network
- Building a Powerful Network Q&A webinar May 2017
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Learning from Guest Experts
- David Burkus on Becoming More Creative
- Shama Hyder on Multiplying Your Following Online
- Laura Vanderkam on Overcoming Procrastination and Becoming More Effective with Your Time
- John Corcoran on How to Connect with Influencers
- Jordan Harbinger on Expanding Your Profile through Podcasting
- Interview with Katherine Flynn, Literary Agent
- Lolly Daskal on Building Your Platform and Marketing Books
- Jason Bellini of the Wall Street Journal on How to Connect with Reporters
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Expand Your Public Profile
- What Should You Write About?
- How to Create Great Content
- How to Become a Guest Blogger
- How to Blog for High Profile Publications
- Should You Start Your Own Blog?
- How to Promote Your Blog
- How to Become a Podcast Guest
- Should You Start Your Own Podcast?
- How to Land Your First Speaking Gig
- What Should You Charge for Speaking?
- How to Land a TEDx Talk
- Creating Content vs. Networking
- How and When to Write a Book Proposal
- Should You Self-Publish or Traditionally Publish?
- Things to Keep in Mind About Self-Publishing
- How to Find an Agent
- How to Find a Publisher
- How to Market Your Book Successfully
- Homework Exercises - Expand Your Public Profile
- Webinar Review - Expand Your Public Profile
- Expand Your Public Profile Q&A webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Expand Your Public Profile
- Expand Your Public Profile Q&A webinar May 2017
- How to Get Your Audience to Want What You're Offering
- How to Get High Level Clients to Come to You
- Setting Your Longer Term Vision
- What Does Success Really Look Like?
- Taking Action - What's Next?
- Dorie Clark Q&A webinar - How to Monetize
- Bonus "Ask Me Anything" Q&A webinar
- Dorie's November 2016 Bonus Ask Me Anything Webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Recognized Expert - Next Steps
- Book Marketing Webinar with Special Guest Star RExer Jeffrey Shaw - Jan 2018
- Intro to REx Webinar Feb 2018
- REx Open Q&A Webinar - March 2018
- Getting Interviewed by Major Publications with Guest Star RExer Nancy Halpern - April 2018
- Effective Networking Strategies with Special Guest Star RExer Robbie Samuels
- How to Hire and Work with Your VA - Webinar with REx Guest Star Melissa Smith - July 2018
- How to Build a Seven-Figure Coaching Practice - Webinar with REx Guest Star Alisa Cohn - August 2018
- How to Launch and Run a Mastermind - with Guest RExer Liz Scully - October 2018
- Q&A with Dorie - November 2018
- Persistence in the Face of Building a Following - with REx Guest Star & HBR/Forbes contributor Ron Carucci - December 2018
- Q&A with Dorie - Feb 2019
- Breaking into the Association Market - with REx Guest Star Gina Hilton-Warner - Feb 2019
If you want to learn how to become a recognized expert, you've come to the right place. Dorie walks the walk not only talks the talk. She developed a three-p...Read More
If you want to learn how to become a recognized expert, you've come to the right place. Dorie walks the walk not only talks the talk. She developed a three-part, action-oriented framework for demystifying the process of gaining market visibility; creating content, establishing social proof and building a network. Through videos and class discussions, Dorie breaks down each of the three segments into easily digestible bite-size chunks. A highlight of the course were interviews that she conducted with other luminaries to get find out how they developed their reputation. This is the second course I've taken for entrepreneurs who want to grow their following. The first seemed like an 8-week commercial to purchase someone else's services. Rest assured, in Dorie's course you will get pure, excellent content!Read Less