Many talented professionals want to make a bigger impact and get their work & their ideas better known. That was certainly how I felt in the years after I first launched my consulting business in 2006.
During the intervening decade, I methodically researched the process of how today's leading experts built their brands and their platforms.
I've applied them in my own business, writing three books (from Harvard Business Review Press and Portfolio/Penguin), and have distilled that knowledge fully for the first time in the Recognized Expert course. More than 250+ successful professionals have now been through the program.
Being great at what you do is very different than being well known for what you do.
With the Recognized Expert course, my goal is to level the playing field and help talented professionals get their voices heard, so that the best ideas - not just the loudest voices - are the ones that win.
I'm excited to help you share your best ideas with the world.
Recognized Expert provides you with a clear template for how to build your professional reputation in order to attract the right opportunities to you. We all have limited time, and it’s important not to waste it. The course will help you figure out where to apply your efforts for the greatest return on investment.
Find your message and breakthrough idea, and learn to talk about it in a way that sets you apart
Get featured in the media & write for prominent publications
Land paid speaking engagements (and cool unpaid opportunities like TEDx talks)
Grow your social media and online following
Attract clients, job offers, and consulting opportunities to you - rather than constantly having to fight for them
Build your email list
Overcome self-doubt and the 'imposter syndrome' that holds many talented professionals back
Network with peers and so-called 'influencers' in a genuine and authentic way, even if you're an introvert (like I am)
Launch a successful book, blog, or podcast
I’ve found new and impactful ways to contribute
Mahesh Thakur, VP of Product, GoDaddy
I landed a $250,000 contract!
Joel Gagne, Owner of Allerton Hill Consulting
My business now brings in six figures annually
Albert DiBernardo, Leadership Coach and Mentor
The Recognized Expert community has transformed me professionally
Luis Velasquez, MBA, PhD Velas Coaching LLC
Taking the Recognized Expert course was one of the best decisions I ever made
Michael Maddaus, MD Professor of Thoracic Surgery
A global community of amazing and accomplished individuals
Susan Peppercorn, CEO Positive Workplace Partners
The connections I've made are worth the price alone
Robbie Samuels, Keynote Speaker, Strategist, and Author
A fantastic investment
Tom Waterhouse, Independent Consultant
Dorie taught me in an actionable and focused way to become an expert
Dr. Christina Guthier, Occupational Health and Organizational Psychologist
One of the best professional decisions I have ever made
Jenny Lisk, Host, The Widowed Parent Podcast
This course resulted in a significant raise
Paul Fairbrother, Social Media Specialist
I started blogging as an expert for Worth magazine as a direct result of this course
Alisa Cohn, Inc.com & Forbes.com Columnist, Executive Coach
I started receiving inbound inquires about my executive coaching practice
Nihar Chhaya, Executive Coach for Senior Leaders at Global Companies
When you want to accomplish something, turn to someone who's already done it
Dr. Sharon Melnick, Psychologist, Author, Professional Speaker
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this course!
Anucha Browne, Sports Executive
I have a roadmap now
Katie Carr Miller, Executive Leadership Coach
Everything I needed to know to save time, money, and aggravation
Terri Deuel, Consultant
Dorie's Recognized Expert course is refreshingly real
Brittany Thomas, Marketing and Operations Coach
Dorie's course is truly empowering
Elena Rodighiero, Cybersecurity Solutions Specialist
What if I don't know what my breakthrough idea is?
That's totally OK. The course teaches you how to identify your breakthrough idea. To clarify, the course is not right for you if you're reinventing and have no idea what direction you want to take or what field you want to be in. But if you have a sense of where you'd like to make your mark – for instance, in healthcare consulting, or being a social media strategist or a human rights attorney or a wealth manager or an executive coach - this course helps guide you through the process of discovering your distinctive ideas and the contribution you can make.
What if I'm not sure I'm an expert?
Many of us have had doubts at one point or another about whether we're really qualified. In fact, there's a module in the course about "Imposter Syndrome" and how to overcome it. If you have no training or experience, then of course Recognized Expert won't magically help with that. But if you're a smart professional who has been working hard and you know in your heart you have something to offer, Recognized Expert helps teach you the skills and strategies to get your ideas more widely heard.
What if I get busy for a while and can't fully participate?
Not a problem. You have lifetime membership in the course, so you can return to it anytime when you're less busy. All live sessions are recorded, as well.
Is the course relevant if I work inside a corporation and don't want to be an entrepreneur?
Yes - many Recognized Expert participants work inside corporations and are using what they learn in the course to become recognized for their knowledge and skills inside their companies (including many Fortune 500 firms). The material is completely transferable, whether the universe you're seeking to impact is your company or your field, in general.
I don't live in a major city (or I don't live in the US). Will this be a problem?
No - the course is 100% online, so you can consume the material whenever & wherever it's convenient for you. We do have live monthly webinars, typically held mid-day US Eastern Time (morning Pacific time and evening in Europe), but if you can't make those, it's not an issue: 1) you can email in any questions you'd like asked and yours will always be handled first; and 2) all sessions are recorded so you can watch them the next day, or at your convenience.
Are the strategies you share applicable in markets outside the US?
Short answer: yes. Many participants in the Recognized Expert course & community come from countries outside the US (England, Australia, Italy, Slovenia, Chile, the Netherlands, France, Mauritius, and Hong Kong, to name just a few). This course is about applying universally applicable strategies - that work in any cultural context - about how to identify your strengths, build a solid network, and apply your skills in a way so that they're understood and appreciated by others.
But what if I hate blogging?
It's not a problem if you don't want to blog (or speak, or podcast, or whatever). There are many paths to becoming a recognized expert, and the course helps you identify the strategies that will work best for you. It's not one-size-fits-all, so it enables you to personalize your approach.
How advanced do you have to be in order to take the course? What if I just started my business?
It's never too early to start the process of building your reputation in the marketplace. In fact, a number of Recognized Expert participants started the course several years before officially launching their businesses, because they wanted to build a foundation to move into entrepreneurship more seamlessly. The key question for you here is around how to allocate your time. Some new entrepreneurs have more urgency around cash flow and therefore need to spend most of their time with immediate cash generating activities (which, sadly, becoming a Recognized Expert is not: it takes time to show results). But if you have time that you can afford to put toward this long-term activity, that's fantastic, because it gives you a critical advantage a few years down the road.
Does the course provide certification or continuing education credits?
Not really. If you would like a certificate upon completion, I'm glad to provide one. But to be clear, the Recognized Expert course is intended as a personal learning tool for you, and we don't have an arrangement with various entities that require certification or credits. This is an investment in your personal growth, rather than something that would help you meet a specific requirement.
You're unsure where you want your career to go.
The course will only be helpful once you decide where you'd like to make your mark. You don't have to have everything figured out, but it's important to have chosen your general field. If you haven't decided this yet, the course may be premature for you.
Money is a major concern.
If you're in a financial position where you need urgent, immediate returns, this class is not right for you. Becoming a recognized expert is a process that takes time, often several years, to come to fruition. It's enormously powerful for your career, but you need to have the patience and leeway to make the investment now and plan for the future. If money is an immediate concern, please don't enroll. You won't be able to enjoy or benefit from the course if you're feeling extreme financial pressure.
- Welcome to the Recognized Expert Course
- Am I Qualified to Be a Recognized Expert?
- What Does It Take to Become a Recognized Expert?
- Book Recommendations for Recognized Expert Students
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Find Your Breakthrough Idea
- What Is a Breakthrough Idea
- How to Identify Your Target Audience
- Will Your Audience Care About Your Big Idea?
- Is Your Idea Actually Unique?
- How Do You Talk About Your Breakthrough Idea
- What to Do If You Haven't Found What You're Passionate About
- When Your Passion and Your Profession Don't Align
- What If You Have More Than One Passion?
- Using the Niche Strategy
- Identifying Trends
- Creating a Market Gap Analysis
- Creating a Framework
- Conducting Research
- What If Someone Steals Your Idea?
- Dorie Clark Review Webinar - Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Dorie Clark Q&A Webinar Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Homework Exercises - Find Your Breakthrough Idea
- March 2017 Finding Your Breakthrough Idea Q&A Webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Finding Your Breakthrough Idea
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Multiply Your Following
- How to Get Featured in Traditional Media
- What Social Channels Should You Be Using
- How Much Time Should You Spend on Social Media
- What Should You Share on Social Media
- How to Measure ROI in Social Media
- Growing Your Email List
- Homework Exercises - Multiply Your Following
- Dorie Clark Q&A webinar Multiply Your Following
- Webinar Review - Multiply Your Following
- Summary of Key Points - Multiply Your Following
- April 2017 Multiply Your Following webinar
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Overcome the Obstacles
- What If You're Not Getting Traction?
- Grappling with Self Doubt
- Who, Really, Can Become a Recognized Expert?
- When Can You Claim to be an Expert?
- Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
- What to Do When You Feel Discouraged
- What to Do When You Feel Paralyzed
- Enhancing Your Executive Presence
- How to Focus on What Matters Most
- How to Structure Your Day to Be More Productive
- What Can You Outsource?
- Homework Exercises - Overcome the Obstacles
- Webinar Review - Overcome the Obstacles
- Dorie Q&A webinar Overcoming the Obstacles
- Summary of Key Points - Overcome the Obstacles
- Overcome the Obstacles Webinar May 2017
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Build a Powerful Network
- What Is a Power Network & Why Does It Matter?
- How to Connect with Peers
- Learning How to Talk About Yourself
- Networking as an Introvert
- Overcoming Internal Obstacles to Networking
- Who Should You Be Connecting With?
- Givers and Takers in Networking
- Making Your Networking More Efficient
- Mastering Follow Up
- Homework Exercises - Build a Powerful Network
- Webinar Review - Build a Powerful Network
- How to Build a Powerful Network Q&A webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Build a Powerful Network
- Building a Powerful Network Q&A webinar May 2017
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Learning from Guest Experts
- David Burkus on Becoming More Creative
- Shama Hyder on Multiplying Your Following Online
- Laura Vanderkam on Overcoming Procrastination and Becoming More Effective with Your Time
- John Corcoran on How to Connect with Influencers
- Jordan Harbinger on Expanding Your Profile through Podcasting
- Interview with Katherine Flynn, Literary Agent
- Lolly Daskal on Building Your Platform and Marketing Books
- Jason Bellini of the Wall Street Journal on How to Connect with Reporters
- Start Here - Resources & Pre-Reading - Expand Your Public Profile
- What Should You Write About?
- How to Create Great Content
- How to Become a Guest Blogger
- How to Blog for High Profile Publications
- Should You Start Your Own Blog?
- How to Promote Your Blog
- How to Become a Podcast Guest
- Should You Start Your Own Podcast?
- How to Land Your First Speaking Gig
- What Should You Charge for Speaking?
- How to Land a TEDx Talk
- Creating Content vs. Networking
- How and When to Write a Book Proposal
- Should You Self-Publish or Traditionally Publish?
- Things to Keep in Mind About Self-Publishing
- How to Find an Agent
- How to Find a Publisher
- How to Market Your Book Successfully
- Homework Exercises - Expand Your Public Profile
- Webinar Review - Expand Your Public Profile
- Expand Your Public Profile Q&A webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Expand Your Public Profile
- Expand Your Public Profile Q&A webinar May 2017
- How to Get Your Audience to Want What You're Offering
- How to Get High Level Clients to Come to You
- Setting Your Longer Term Vision
- What Does Success Really Look Like?
- Taking Action - What's Next?
- Dorie Clark Q&A webinar - How to Monetize
- Bonus "Ask Me Anything" Q&A webinar
- Dorie's November 2016 Bonus Ask Me Anything Webinar
- Summary of Key Points - Recognized Expert - Next Steps
- Book Marketing Webinar with Special Guest Star RExer Jeffrey Shaw - Jan 2018
- Intro to REx Webinar Feb 2018
- REx Open Q&A Webinar - March 2018
- Getting Interviewed by Major Publications with Guest Star RExer Nancy Halpern - April 2018
- Effective Networking Strategies with Special Guest Star RExer Robbie Samuels
- How to Hire and Work with Your VA - Webinar with REx Guest Star Melissa Smith - July 2018
- How to Build a Seven-Figure Coaching Practice - Webinar with REx Guest Star Alisa Cohn - August 2018
- How to Launch and Run a Mastermind - with Guest RExer Liz Scully - October 2018
- Q&A with Dorie - November 2018
- Persistence in the Face of Building a Following - with REx Guest Star & HBR/Forbes contributor Ron Carucci - December 2018
- Q&A with Dorie - Feb 2019
- Breaking into the Association Market - with REx Guest Star Gina Hilton-Warner - Feb 2019
- Generating Ideas and Embracing Creativity with REx Guest Star Randah Taher - April 2019
- Special Bonus - Idea Creation, Selection and Planning Tools from Randah Taher (to complement April 2019 webinar)
- Q&A with Dorie Clark - June 2019
- Becoming a Recognized Expert Inside a Corporation - July 2019
- Landing a TEDx talk with REx Guest Star Marie Incontrera - August 2019
- Online Course Creation - October 2019
- Make REx Friends - Getting to Know You Webinar - October 2019
- REx Q&A Video - November 2019
- Book Launch Secrets and How to Break into Morning TV - REx Q&A with Laura Gassner Otting - Dec 2019
- Productivity Strategies for the New Year - Jan 2020
- How to Build a Healthy & Resilient Business - Part 1 - March 2020 REx Monthly Webinar
- How to Build a Healthy & Resilient Business - Part 2 -March 2020 REx webinar
Dorie Clark is an Adjunct Professor of Business Administration at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and the author of Entrepreneurial You, Reinventing You, and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine. A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, the New York Times described her as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.” She is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, TIME, and Entrepreneur. Recognized as a “branding expert” by the Associated Press, Inc., and Fortune, Clark is a marketing strategy consultant and speaker for clients including Google, Microsoft, Yale University, Fidelity, the U.S. State Department, and the World Bank. She's also the producer of a multiple Grammy-winning jazz album. You can download her free 88-question Entrepreneurial You self-assessment and learn more at dorieclark.com.
Rapid Content Creation Masterclass
The Rapid Content Creation Masterclass, taught by former award-winning journalist and Harvard Business Review author Dorie Clark, helps you learn to create great content quickly - enabling you to share your ideas more widely & build your platform.
Writing for High Profile Publications
Writing for High Profile Publications teaches professionals how to break into prominent publications in their industry, enhancing their brand and helping them spread their ideas further.
If you want to learn how to become a recognized expert, you've come to the right place. Dorie walks the walk not only talks the talk. She developed a three-p...Read More
If you want to learn how to become a recognized expert, you've come to the right place. Dorie walks the walk not only talks the talk. She developed a three-part, action-oriented framework for demystifying the process of gaining market visibility; creating content, establishing social proof and building a network. Through videos and class discussions, Dorie breaks down each of the three segments into easily digestible bite-size chunks. A highlight of the course were interviews that she conducted with other luminaries to get find out how they developed their reputation. This is the second course I've taken for entrepreneurs who want to grow their following. The first seemed like an 8-week commercial to purchase someone else's services. Rest assured, in Dorie's course you will get pure, excellent content!Read Less